Meeting Minutes, Aug 5, 2007
Lawrence Memorial Hospital,
- Those attending the meeting: Keith and Amy Meyers, Karen Hyde, Steve Riley, Don and Lori Cackler, Tanya Spacek and Jorge Carvajal.
- Molly Wood's treasurer's report was read. The balance was $5,193.37 on August 2nd.
- Members shared their recent activities. Jorge brought memorabilia
from his east coast summer competitions and provided interesting anecdotes. His goal is to qualify for Boston again.
- Tanya spoke about the Great Plains Running Company's Perry Lake
- Steve provided flyers for the Sandrats Trail Run planned for Oct 7 @ 8:30 am. as well as for the Clinton Cross Country Challenge scheduled for Dec 2 @ 1 pm.
- Gene's Thanksgiving Day race update was reviewed by the group:
- Dennis Anthony Chiropractic will be a sponsor.
- Jon Francis will donate gift certificates again, supply race numbers and use the downtown store for packet pickup.
- Marsha Odgers (Run-Girl clothing line) has donated $50.
- Great Harvest & The Merc - Greg Burger has verbal OKs.
- HyVee - needing their final approval. Don spoke with 23rd St. manager
- Dillons - still need to check (Dee will ask Karen Braman).
- We could use a few more to help cover costs and add to the list of sponsors before we print the shirts.
- Parking: Rick Renfro said parking at Johnny's will be OK for race day. He offered two $25 gift certificates if someone would stop by to pick them up. Did not need to list him as a sponsor.
- New Course: Ed Payne's suggestion to change the course is really close to being 5K. The change: last year at 8th & Ash we jogged south to then east and back, then to the levee. This year: turn NORTH from 8th & Ash, go north to 8th & Locust, east on 9th, south to Oak, west back to 8th, then onto the levee. Ed, Dee and I plan to measure & finalize the new route late August. (see map handout). Will need to notify city officials.
- New course will need at least 6 more volunteers to watch new street corners. At least a dozen would be a be the safe number. Need a coordinator for volunteers.
- Jon Francis said to keep the cost about the same, we'd have to
stick with the same white shirts as last year. They are $12.60 each
(60 cents higher than last year). 2 or 2 1/2 weeks preferred to get
shirt orders in, but could do one week before if artwork was done
ahead of time. Another source for shirts is Midwest Graphics.
- Ellen Young has info on cost of medals. She will share that with
members soon. Another source for medals is "Hasty" in Ottawa.
- Release of entry form: after getting due dates for Jon Francis,
we'll print entries and go on-line with Active.com. Add any new sponsors as they come in.
- Coming events with runLawrence, etc.
- Sat, Aug 11 - Red Dog Run 3 (Ellen is coordinating finish line & results. Could use 2 more club members to help, club equipment rented) Tanya said she would be willing to help.
- Sat, Aug 18 - Quantrill's Raid Fun Run 5K/10K (by Watkins Museum, not a race?)
- Sun, Sep 9 - Mass Street Mile, Parks & Rec (club clock rented)
- Sat, Sep 15 - Clinton N Shore Trail Run, 8.5 Mile
- Sat, Oct 7 - Sandrat Trail Run (club equipment rented)
- Sat, Oct 13 - Topeka Half Marathon & 5K (new this year)
- Sat, Oct 13 - Jared Coones 5K, Olathe (MARA event)
- Sat, Oct 20 - KC Marathon, Half Marathon (MARA)
- Sat, Oct 27 - WOW 5K, 9 am (Steve Riley to help, club equipment rented) Other volunteers may be needed for this one.
- Sat, Oct 27 - KU Spirit Sprint (Homecoming) Run, 2 pm (may ask for more advice from club)
- Sat, Nov 3 - Parks & Rec Turkey Trot, Haskell (club clock rented)
- Nov 17 - Field of Promise 5K, Grace EPC (Bob Woods, club equipment rented)
- Thu, Nov 22 - Thanksgiving 5K, runLawrence (plan to volunteer if you can)
- Sun, Dec 2 - Clinton Cross Country Challenge (club equipment rented)
- Amy's FSHS Cross Country team is selling Pizza Street (on 6th) dining cards for $10.00.
- The meeting adjourned.
- Next meeting: Sun, Sept 2 (during Labor Day weekend) 4 pm at LMH.