Meeting Minutes, June 3, 2007
Lawrence Memorial Hospital,
1. Treasurer's report -
Don Cackler said the balance had not changed from the last meeting as far as he knows. [April statement shows a balance of $4,177 - Molly Wood]
2. Review/recap recent races
- John Huchingson won his division of Hospital Hill 5K 5 minutes ahead
of the second place finisher. John's time was 30 seconds faster than
his PR; 23:19. He attributed his success to a focus on interval
- Dee Boeck was third in her division of the half-marathon.
- Greg Burger completed his first 100K at the end of April. He attempted
to run rim to rim at the Grand Canyon and covered 34 of the 47 miles.
- Ed Payne will help certify the Holton 5K next week.
- Steve Riley's anticipated Joplin race was weather delayed, making it not
possible for him to reschedule. He enjoyed the Wichita River Run. It
was a large race with 1500 5K finishers.
- Ellen Young finished second in her division in the Kansas City Mother's Day
Run. She ran in the Lincoln half-marathon.
3. Update on upcoming races:
- Tonganoxie Library Run is next Saturday June 9th.
- There is a 10 mile trail run at Perry Lake the same day.
- Ellen reviewed the Dog Days schedule
with the club. She explained that parking is limited, that
participants must sign a waiver and that entry into the stadium is at
gates 31 and 32.
- Lara Burger said the Veritas July 4th Eagle 5K run will not
be this summer. The route has a bridge newly under construction.
- Steve said the Cross Town Unity Run will have a 5 mile and a 2 mile
route. Chip Anderson and Steve Hufferman are directing the race this
year. It will be the first Saturday in August. The web site has not
- The Boy's and Girl's Club run will be August 11th. They will need the clock and finish line volunteers.
4. Planning for Thanksgiving Day 5K. -
There was much discussion following review of Gene Wee's handouts. Some
of those ideas included:
- Describe parking alternatives on the website
- Consider a cut-off date for guaranteed shirt
- Starting the run at the 11th Street Community building
- Start the run at the Lied Center
- Consider a published date/time for registration to close
- Charge a fee to re-order shirts for late registrants who want one
- Consider offering more cash prizes
- Offer a master's prize
- See if the former owner of Midwest Graphics (Ed knows him) could
give a special price for the shirts
- Ed shared the molded turkeys he made that could be used as awards.
He said a ribbon loop could be attached during the molding process
The next runLawrence meeting date is Sunday, July 1st at 4:00.