Meeting Minutes, April 6, 2008
4:00 p.m. - Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Conference Room
Members present: Ellen, Dee, Janet, John, Gene, Steve, and Lori
- Treasurer's report: The account balance is roughly $5,300.
- Evaluation of Dam Run and plans for 2009: Next year's run: final date will be coordinated with other local events so as to avoid any conflicts. The participant numbers for 2008 were similar to those of 2007. The race went well. In all likelihood, we will continue to work with the city on this race. Gene would like to step down as the race coordinator for next year.
- Report on Brew to Brew: Dee led a team of runLawrence members including Lori, Brenda, Ellen and Kat. The race was fun and went well. Changes instituted this year included fewer and smaller vehicles, easier, safer, and less crowded checkpoints. There was less of a party atmosphere, probably due to the elimination of 10-person teams.
- An e-mail was received from the KC Marathon director saying she wanted to meet with the runLawrence club. There has also been a request for club assistance with the Ironman 70.3 Kansas Triathlon pre-event on June 14, probably a 5K and 10K race in downtown Lawrence. Again, the organizer has been invited to attend a club meeting to present more detailed information.
- Update on Thanksgiving Day race: Dee has reserved the Visitor's Center for race day morning and the afternoon the day before for setup. A volunteer is working on the T-shirt design. We have received price quotes for the long-sleeved T-shirt printing. We have again contacted RaceDay Timing Solutions to do results. FedEx/Kinkos will again be a sponsor. Club members reported many sightings of previous year's shirts at area events.
- Update on Lawrence Half-Marathon: There are 1,000 entries as of today, with 100-200 arriving daily. The club plans to decorate its port-a-potty on the Saturday before the race.
- Donations/volunteers for a cross-country run stopping in Lawrence: Rhonda LeValdo is the contact for "The Longest Walk" group who will pass through Lawrence April 29th on a walk from San Francisco to Washington DC.
- Review of equipment rental plan and help: Dee moved, John seconded that the phrase: "$60 for races if a runLawrence member is part of the event staff and oversees. . ." be changed to "$60 for races if the race director is a member of runLawrence…" The motion passed and the policy was adopted as amended.
- Request for equipment rental for the Pathways Run June 21 (which is a week after the Ironman 70.). Gene can bring the equipment to this 5K and would like some member assistance.
- Members are encouraged to submit original articles for posting on the website. Write up any experiences you have had. For example, on training for your first marathon, your experiences on a relay team or any unusual happenings on your training runs. Janet is willing to help write them.
- Lori Cackler was unanimously elected as the recording secretary for the club.
The meeting adjourned.