|The Lenexa Run and Horsethief 5K. (gmw)|
Meeting Minutes, Aug 3, 2008
4:00 p.m. - Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Conference Room
Members present: Marsha (and Kate), Dee, Gene, Ellen, Don, Lori, Karen, Steve, John, Janet, Greg and Paul.
Marsha shared a summary of the documentary "Ultramarathon Man"
1. Treasurer's report: John reported an approximate balance of $5,720 with no known outstanding bills. One new membership was recently received.
2. There is a newly organized KU running club founded by Heather Douglas, a former track team member. Ellen will invite her to attend a meeting.
3. Paul reported the Horse Thief Run was successful. He appreciated runLawrence support. Several club members assisted with officiating; also several club members ran in the race. Considerations for 2009 include changing the date to another weekend and making it a road race featuring historical sites downtown.
4. The club decided to consider sending a member to the RRCA national conference in San Francisco next March. Any club member who is genuinely interested in going to "RRCA Club College" and is committed to making runLawrence bigger and better should inquire about the possibility. On that track, Steve related his experience with a "webinar" presented by activeendurance.com. The Boston marathon race director presented some ideas that Steve appreciated; for example, the recommended ratio of sponsor fees to entry fees is 50% to 50% to maintain a healthy race.
5. New officers will be elected at the end of this calendar year; those interested in an office should speak up soon!
6. Red Dog's Boys and Girls Club Run is Saturday, August 9. Registration continues through day of the race. RunLawrence volunteers include Gene, Dee, Paul, Steve, Don and Lori. There will be awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd beginning with the 10 & under and continuing up to 65 and better, in 5 year increments.
7. Thanksgiving Day Run: Ellen has good leads on two possible local DJ's. Gene shared a draft entry form for member feedback. Sponsorships must be firm prior to finalizing the form. All sponsors from last year have been or will be contacted soon; however, all members are encouraged to contact any potential new sponsors. The club has a letter which can be used for that purpose. Janet will approach a podiatrist who cares for some of the club members as a potential new sponsor. It was also agreed to identify a sponsor who who would provide coffee for the runners. Members discussed formalizing the donation amount needed for listing on the shirt, both cash and in-kind. It was suggested offering web links to sponsors. The members would like to continue the turkey cookie tradition. Janet drops leftover food at the shelter each year. Members discussed adding a children's fun run/walk but could not resolve the logistical obstacles. Parking options were reviewed.
The meeting adjourned.