Welcome to the runLawrence web site.
Photo on the Urish Hill at Topeka-Auburn Half Marathon. Photo of the Eudora HS runners.
   On the Urish Hill at the Topeka to Auburn Half Marathon; scenes from Psycho Wyco (Dick Ross photos)

Meeting Minutes, Mar 2, 2008

4:00 p.m. - Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Conference Room

Members present:  Becky McClure, Dee Boeck, Gene Wee, Brenda Groskinsky & Lexi, Don & Lori Cackler, and Ellen Young.

1. Treasurer's report; John e-mailed the balance information. We have $5,680 in the account. The paperwork to add him to the account is completed. Both he and Dee can write checks on the account.

2. We are still in need of volunteers for the Dam Run March 29th. Ed Payne certified both courses last year, but may need to check to see if markings are still OK after some resurfacing work. Current volunteers are Dee, Karen, Molly, and Kelly G. Molly, Stacy, Ellen and Steve will help do results. She and Gene will check on how many city staff will be helping that day. Don and Lori will volunteer at the last minute if their work schedules allow.

3. Thanksgiving Day Run progress report: Dee has received a confirmation from Parks & Rec to use the Visitor's Center again. She has contact Susan Robinette regarding shirt designs. Dan Hughes at Sunflower is a possible contact to help with sponsorship, possibly in the form of donated or discounted merchandise, such as head bands for all entrants. Becky will check with Dan. The club wants to continue to provide cookies and medals similar to the 2007 race.

4. Progress report regarding requests for help on runs and the effectiveness of our new procedures: The Quantrill Run and Kappa Delta organizers were notified our club would not be involved with their events.

Jerry Bottenfield (Nash Dash) plans to change the nature of the event from a fun run to a competitive race with finish results and age group awards. He also stated that he wants us to assist at the finish line, so pending club approval, we will agree to supply the display clock, finish chute, timers, & workers at the finish. This does not include doing the results.

The club will continue to support the Hilltop Hustle with finish line and results. The Shamrock Shuffle results and finish line management will be directed by Steve & Marcia Riley this year.

With requests coming in to support other races, the club discussed its ability to support new events. Limiting factors include the small pool of volunteers, as well as RRCA guidelines on limiting risks. The club rents out equipment and it was suggested the club's rental policy and fee structure be set and reviewed at a future meeting. Members felt written contracts were appropriate as well as asking for a pre-payment.

In addition, members discussed allowing the club to pay the entry fee for teams representing runLawrence as a future consideration.

5. Dee signed up the Brew to Brew team made up of five runLawrence members.

6. We discussed the club's portajohn decorations for the Lawrence 1/2 Marathon; Dee and Becky are in charge of the project.

7. The next meeting is scheduled for April 6, 2008.

8. Upcoming runs:

  • March 22 Wild as a March Hare 5K XC and other events, Iliff Commons, Topeka KS
  • March 29 Dam Run 5K/12/K Clinton Outlet Park, Lawrence Parks & Rec
  • March 29 Olathe Marathon, Half, 5K
  • April 5 Run for Life 10 mile in Topeka, no entry information has been posted as of Mar 3
  • April 6 Brew to Brew

Lori Cackler