Meeting Minutes, July 5, 2009
Lawrence Memorial Hospital
Members present: Brenda, Celeste, Molly, Marcia, Karen H., Dee, John, Janet, Lori, Don, and Gene. Vice President Janet presided.
- Standards to list coming events on website: Steve Riley, Paul Boone, Ellen Young and Gene Wee met prior to the meeting in order to draft website event publishing standards. That committee used the Chicago Area Running Association standards as a model. The committee’s task was to establish criteria for events to be listed on the runLawrence web site in a category distinct from a “fun run.” Members present reviewed the draft standards. Item by item discussion resulted in some improved changes. Members asked that the web page editor keep all the event forms submitted for consideration. Dee moved that the draft be accepted, Molly seconded. The motion passed with one “no” vote.
- Thanksgiving Day 5K: Adjustments to the run headquarters and route have become necessary due to the City of Lawrence’s plan to reconstruct the intersection of North 2nd and Locust. Dee and Don will meet with the city engineer to get specific details at the end of July regarding street closings and detour plans. In light of the construction plan, Dee spoke with Woodlawn School’s principal and the Ballard Center director to ascertain willingness to allow runLawrence to use their building(s). Both expressed an interest. Dee suggested making the Woodlawn School PTO a beneficiary of the run proceeds. Don moved and John seconded to that effect, the motion passed unanimously. Dee has written letters to twenty-five North Lawrence businesses requesting sponsorship consideration. Gene plans to design a new course, soliciting the assistance of Steve. The shirt, by popular acclaim, will return to the 2006 style.
- The Red Dog Boys and Girls Club Run is scheduled for Aug 8th. Since that run has traditionally been held on the levee, that route may also be affected by the street repairs.
- Treasurer’s Report: John reported the club balance as of July 3rd was $8,715.32
- New club jersey order: No formal vote was taken; however members expressed interest in ordering club running clothing from Gary Gribble. Gene will check prices.
- Other business/announcements: Wed, July 8th at 5:30 p.m. Red Dog Don Gardner and other community organizers will gather people of all ages to Shenk Field at the corner of Iowa and Clinton Parkway. The purpose is to set a record for the largest community workout
Lawrence track coaches Steve Heffernan and Chip Anderson plan to use runLawrence’s donation from last year's Thanksgiving Day Run to establish a 7th and 8th grade running club. It is anticipated the donation will fund two years.
Club members reported on recent races attended including Hospital Hill, the Heartland Masters Track Meet and the Lenexa Freedom Run.
Paul Boone’s Horsethief 5K is Sat, July 11th in Eudora. There will be another opportunity to register on Fri afternoon July 10th at Garry Gribble’s.
The Topeka Mexicana Fiesta Run is also on Sat, July 11th.
Brenda is training for the Hood to Coast Relay that will be held in August in Oregon.
Brenda’s daughter, Lexi, had an outstanding multi-event performance at the Kansas High School track meet in May. Lexi had to obtain special consideration from the KHSAA to participate since her high school Bishop Seabury does not have a track team.
Brenda received the club shirt door prize.
- The meeting adjourned.