Meeting Minutes, Sept 6, 2009
Lawrence Memorial Hospital
Members present: Ellen, John, Janet, Dee, Gene, Lori, Don, and Greg.
- Treasurer’s Report; John stated the balance is $7901.40. When Dee ordered checks, the bank changed the club address to Dee and Gene’s. She will pass bank correspondence on to John.
- Update of Thanksgiving Day 5K; Gene distributed a draft of the entry form and a course map. Members suggested he add “New Location” and the club web address to the entry form. All sponsors but two are confirmed. After they are confirmed, Gene will put the entry form on the website. Dee will attend Woodlawn’s October PTO meeting. She plans to ask the PTO to manage and staff the fun run. The club members decided the fun run should begin at 9:15. Instructions for awards will be included in the packet. Winners can pick up awards immediately after checking the posted results rather than waiting for a ceremony. Medals for the 5K are currently being produced. Dee will research medals for the fun run. The consensus was the medals should have ribbons so the children could wear them around the neck. The best price for cookies was from Hy-Vee. Don will order 600 cookies for $360.00. The club members agreed to ask member Steve Riley for the loan of traffic cones. Dee will search commercial sources for mile markers. Gene and Steve will certify the course September 7th. The city will barricade the intersection of 4th and Elm for the start of the race. After the runners pass, a club volunteer will move the barricade to 5th and Elm in order to free up that intersection. Club members are urged to volunteer to help place flyers on neighbors’ doors notifying them of the course. The course will require more course marshals than past TD runs. Members are encouraged to volunteer and bring family and friends to assist as well.
- Request for volunteers to deliver clock and finish line requested by race directors. Gene has received requests from non-local groups to use the equipment. He asked if members who have access to a truck would be willing to help. Ellen, Greg and Don agreed to assist if possible within personal schedules. The club will pay mileage out of the fee charged for use of our equipment.
- Update on the formation of a junior high cross-country club. Dee will send a letter to Chip Anderson and Steve Hefferon request a progress report.
- Dam Run with LP&R is scheduled for March 27, 2010. If asked, RunLawrence will provide the clock and finish line equipment.
- Upcoming events; There are many fun runs and races scheduled for September and for October. Please see the web site for details.
- Other business:
Members will need to elect a new president to begin serving in January, 2010. Janet, Lori and Dee agreed to continue as vice-president, secretary and Thanksgiving Day Race Coordinator respectively.
Greg provided positive feedback regarding the new system of differentiating between fun runs and races now on the web site. He asked the club to consider adding a trail run category. He requested clarification of the process. Currently, the application forms are reviewed by Gene, Steve, Ellen and Paul to obtain consensus for categorization. Trail runs listed on the calendar will meet their own criteria.
Dee spoke with Marilyn Hull of LiveWell Lawrence to get an overview of their mission.
Dee, Don and Becky have volunteered to count bicycle and pedestrian traffic for a survey this month.
Greg filled members in on his experience with the Leadville 100 ultra marathon. His strategy was to go to the area a week before the race to acclimate to the altitude, and to run all out for the first 13 miles in order to bank time. Greg said he “crashed” mentally at the 70-mile mark and justified slowing his pace. He finished in 28 hours, 51 minutes, 21 seconds earning him a belt buckle. The only physical negative for him was blistered feet.
- Ellen won the t-shirt door prize.
- The meeting adjourned.