Meeting Minutes, Sunday, September 4, 2011
Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 4:00 pm (minutes approved Oct 2, 2011)
President Becky McClure called the meeting to order.
Members present: Janet and John Huchingson, Heather Krase-Minnick, Ellen Young, Barry Nason, Alicia Rosales, Don and Lori Cackler, Paul Boone, Molly Wood, Mike Zabel, Dee Boeck and Gene Wee.
- Treasurer’s Report: John said the balance was $3,672.58. Since that statement, a check for $2,000 was written to Francis Sporting Goods for the Thanksgiving Day Run gloves down payment.
- RRCA runner friendly community: Becky received notification that the club application to designate Lawrence a runner friendly community was successful. She gave a press release to the Lawrence Journal World and to WellCommons. In addition, she will schedule a personal presentation to city manager, David Corliss, along with a runLawrence license plate. Becky is awaiting a packet of materials and documentation from RRCA.
- Garry Gribble sponsorship proposal: Ellen Young gave a verbal description of the proposal for Garry Gribble Running Sports to exclusively sponsor the 2012 Thanksgiving Day Run. She said he could offer benefits similar to what he provided for the Boys and Girls Club run. Garry has sponsored that run since 2008. The only professional staff hired for the run is the timer, all of the rest are volunteers. The run had 419 participants in 2011. Members noted Garry has been supportive of runLawrence since opening his
downtown store in 2008 and has requested to sponsor the Thanksgiving Day Run. His store actively promotes the club by giving a 20% discount to club members. He posts the club name prominently in the store and distributes race flyers. Members believe that support has generated many new club memberships.
Dee shared what Francis Sporting Goods will do this year to sponsor the Thanksgiving Day Run. His store will be the packet pickup site. Francis Sporting Goods has been the primary sponsor of the run since its inception. Members discussed our club’s core values of keeping the Thanksgiving Day Run a smaller, local, family oriented, non-profit, volunteer event. We felt that Garry’s proposal should be entertained prior to the time printing orders are finalized in February, 2012. Members expressed hope for compromise.
- Thanksgiving Day Run planning. On-line and mail-in registration is open now for the run. Gene distributed the entry form he designed for members to share throughout the community. Jeffrey Seymour obtained Logan Business Machines to sponsor the purchase of chocolate milk. We will continue our tradition of providing turkey cookies. Please contact Dee about any other potential sponsors and she will contact them. Heather will contact the management of the new health food store on 23rd street for possible sponsorship. Dee displayed the quilt made from local race shirts that will be raffled at the run. Suggested donations are $2 per ticket or six tickets for $10. The winner does not need to be present at the drawing. Shirts, head bands, license plates and bumper stickers will be available for sale on race day.
- New singlet distribution.
- September 18th support of across America runner: Heather, Paul and LaRisa would like to run with Dennis Godby into the city, down Mass to South Park. Information regarding his charity is linked to the runLawrence website.
- Club dues are due for the coming year; dues paid now will be good through 2012.
- Old business: There were many positive comments from and a great turnout at the club picnic in August. Gene ordered 8-10 runLawrence license plates to be sold for $10 each. His inventory was quickly sold out by members present at the meeting and more will be ordered. Alicia will set up a runLawrence Facebook presence. Contact Ellen to volunteer for the October 2nd Head for the Cure race. She has entry forms as well. The Sandrat event is the same day.
- Becky won the drawing for a shirt.
- The meeting adjourned.
Oct 2, 2011