Meeting Minutes, Sunday, July 1, 2012 (approved Sept 2, 2012)
Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 4:00 pm.
Members present: Barry Nason, Gene Wee, Dee Boeck, John Huchingson, Janet Huchingson, Brenda Groskinsky, Garrett Jones, Don Cackler, Lori Cackler
- Treasurer’s report: John gave a balance of $6208.76 as of June 28, 2012. Dee had the May 2012 bank statement available for perusal.
- Approval of June 2012 minutes: Dee moved, John seconded that the minutes be accepted as published. The motion passed.
- KU’s Sport Club: Garrett provided club members a status update. He held a meeting for interested students in April and 58 expressed a desire to participate in the club. On-line information regarding the NIRCA affiliated running club was made available during June new student orientation. Garrett can access the university web site to glean names of those new students who would like to join. With one orientation yet to go, Garrett has 64 possible new members. He has made participation plans for the fall regional meet at the Iowa State University cross country course. The national meet will be in Hershey Pennsylvania. In addition, Garrett is planning some more local events. He has a t-shirt design created by the student design center. On the back will be " will you runKU." NIRCA hosts the club website. Garrett plans to make extensive use of social media to promote and manage the club. The training runs will occur at 5:45 pm M-F near the rec center with runners divided among blue, crimson and gold groups led by captains and two team leaders per group. The training will be based upon Jack Daniel’s Lore of Running book. In order to reach more potential members, Garrett will have an information table at the student involvement leadership event.
- Club social August 5th: The picnic will be at the Depot Visitors Center from 5:30-7:00. Set up will be at 5:00, clean-up from 7:00-7:30. Dee will ask Mr. Bacon to cater the meat. Also provided will be table service, cups, ice tea and lemonade. Members who plan to attend should contact Barry. Gene will send a notice to members and ask for setup volunteers. Cacklers will bring the tea.
- Sponsorship requests: Barry requested a quick check of the budget. Dee will need to pay for the TDR vests in the next couple of months. In light of that information, Dee moved and John seconded the motion to give $80 to support Rhonda LeValdo’s (president of the Native American Journalist Association and Native People healthy lifestyles advocate) participation in the Lone Star Midwest Mayhem triathlon and to donate $300 to Dog Days. The motion passed.
- Thanksgiving Day Run: Gene distributed a draft of the informational web page. Clarification was needed regarding the number of zippered vests to be given. Laird-Noller is a new sponsor. Dee is consulting with a local arts group regarding design and production of awards. John has a source to consider as well. Jonathan Douglas of the city clerk’s office has received the right of way permit and is waiting for paperwork from LPD. Because the runLawrence TDR is the RRCA 5K state championship, RRCA will award top runners in the open, masters (40+), grand masters (50+), and senior grand masters (60+) categories for men and women. Therefore, it will be possible for some runners to receive more than one award.
- Other business: Janet has obtained the book UnBroken by Laura Hillenbrand for the club library. Dee brought a sample of the club singlets for sale at Francis Sporting Goods. Prices for womens are $19/20; mens $22/25. Dee was pleased with the quality and fit. Barry said he purchased the last large shorts and really likes them. Francis will order more per request. Paul Boone is scheduled to use the club equipment for the Eudora Horsethief Run July 14th. The Merc will use the equipment and Dee’s expertise for their run in support of West Middle School’s garden curriculum July 28.
- Gene - who provided cupcakes for the attendees, won the drawing. The meeting adjourned.