Meeting Minutes, Sunday, October 7, 2012 (approved Nov 4, 2012)
Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 4:00 pm.
Members present: Barry Nason, Dee Boeck, Gene Wee, Becky McClure, Karen Hyde, Don Cackler, Lori Cackler
- President Barry Nason called the meeting to order. The September minutes were approved as published on the web page following a motion by Dee and second by Becky.
- Treasurer’s report: Dee said the balance is approximately $6,300.
- Membership renewal: Current members can renew for 2013 anytime after Septerber 1st. Gene said new members, by joining before January 1, can obtain a couple of extra months membership at no cost. Gene has provided some applications to Garry Gribble's Running Sports for distribution. Memberships are $20 for individuals and $25 for couples. Becky described a points system used by bike club members. Members of the bike club who volunteer for their events can earn points that can be used for discounted memberships and registrations. runLawrence members suggested our club could use a similar system benefitting members who volunteer to bring our equipment to community runs. Total points earned could be announced at the annual picnic. A club member would be responsible for tracking points. Becky and Gene will research the details of this type of system and report at the December meeting for possible January implementation.
- Thanksgiving Day run: Dee has sent letters to possible sponsors. She said Dr. Jones increased his sponsorship amount this year. Nearly all of the details for the run have been arranged. Gene said 74 people have registered. He sent an e-mail to 780 former participants to encourage them to register for this year’s run. There should be no road construction along the route this year. Members will set up the city barricades the morning of the run. Natural Grocers will provide water. Dillons will donate fruit. The Merc will give the runners energy bars and possibly some water. Hy-Vee will give us a discount on our cookie order of 600 as well as providing a box of bananas. J&S Coffee will donate coffee again this year. We will order chocolate milk for the runners. Great Harvest will provide bread products as usual.
The Woodlawn marathon club has asked for a separate dedicated donation. The kid’s fun run will need a new coordinator this year. Becky will donate water for the aid station and facilitate volunteers there. Molly will manage registration along with Brenda and her daughter. Becky said that LMH’s sports performance training and rehab club for 10 to 18 year olds would like to have an information booth near the registration area. Packet pickup will be at Francis Sporting Goods store. Members will set up at Woodlawn School Wednesday evening, November 21st. Due to the RRCA 5K designation, an awards ceremony will need to be planned using our MC and photographer. Don will set up a table near the portable potties with hand sanitizer.
- Coming events: Gene listed area races and events and club members volunteered to assist with our equipment. There are several informational clinics being offered at Garry Gribble’s running store by area health professionals. Becky will present one of them October 18th from 6:00-7:00. Details regarding the content covered as well as event dates and times are available on the runLawrence website.
- Other business: Janet Huchingson would like the person who checked out the book: A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York by Liz Robbins to contact her. Karen won the raffle.
The meeting adjourned