Club Meeting Minutes
Sun, November 5, 2017

(pending approval)

4:30 pm, Lawrence Public Library, room A

Present:  Brenda Groskinsky, Gene Wee, Dee Boeck, John Huchingson, Don and Lori Cackler, Becky McClure, Molly Wood, Celeste Leonardi, and Karen Hyde

Brenda called the meeting to order.

We reviewed the minutes from the October meeting.  Dee moved to accept the minutes as written; Molly seconded, and all approved.

Gene gave the treasurer’s report.  Since the last meeting, the club has received a total of $3,114.25 in Tday race entry fees and equipment rental.  Total expenditures were $690.41 for race expenses.  The balance as of Nov. 5 is $17,547.59.  A full treasurer’s report can be seen on the runLawrence website in the “About Us” section.

Dee gave the T-day race update.  She passed around examples of the unique, wooden, age-group and overall awards that were created by VanGough.  We will have a work session at Dee’s house to put ribbon and stickers on the awards.  (Time and date TBA but most likely Sunday, November 12.)  Recently, Dee attended two PTO meetings at Woodlawn Elementary School to ensure that they are ready to handle the fun run.  Children in the fun run will receive a finisher’s medal.  Dee has confirmed with Jeanne Fridell that the school will be available to us from 6:00 to 8:00 on Wed. evening (11/22) and on Thursday morning beginning at 5:45 am.  She has double-checked with all of the food, water, coffee and chocolate milk sponsors that their donations will be forthcoming.  Dee mentioned that we will need boxes for storing the shirts for packet pick-up.  Gene will order the shirts on Monday, 11/6.  He reiterated that we need to insure that all pre-registered participants receive the shirt size that they ordered.  As of 11/5, there were 370 entries.

 

 

In more T-day race related discussion, we reviewed list of jobs for volunteers.  The sign-up sheet can be seen on the runLawrence website.  Gene will need help in transporting water from his house to the school on Monday afternoon.

Brenda again encouraged board members, potential board members, and possibly other active club members to consider attending the RRCA Convention in Washington, D.C. on April 5-7, 2018.  She, Gene and Dee have all expressed the value of the experience.  Brenda mentioned that, given the location, it would be wise to register and book flights and hotel rooms early.  She is expecting that the convention hotel will fill up more quickly than usual.

We discussed the status of our connection with Lawrence USD497 regarding payment of donations to the districts marathon clubs.  Elizabeth has already made the request for applications available to the clubs, and we have received one completed application.  Brenda will contact Elizabeth for an update, and Denise will be invited to the December club meeting to discuss the procedure for the distribution of donations.

Appreciation was given to Brenda for her Self Defense for Runners presentation at Ad Astra running store on Wednesday, Nov. 1st.  Over forty women, and one man, attended.  It was a very well received presentation and an excellent public relations event for runLawrence.  Brenda encouraged us to think about other learning sessions that we can organize.

The next runLawrence meeting will be Sunday, Dec. 3rd at 4:30 at the Lawrence Public Library, unless otherwise notified.

Molly moved to adjourn the meeting; Becky seconded, and all agreed.

Submitted by Karen Hyde.